WiseAlpha's products are only suitable for investors who have due professional experience and expertise. These include the following categories of investors - high net worth, self-certified sophisticated, advised, investment professionals and institutional investors.
High net worth investors are investors who 1. in the preceding financial year had an annual income to the value of £100,000 or more. Annual income for these purposes does not include money withdrawn from pension savings (except where the withdrawals are used directly for income in retirement) and/or 2. in the financial year immediately preceding, held net assets to the value of £250,000 or more. Net assets for these purposes do not include:
- the property which is my primary residence or any money raised through a loan secured on that property; or
- any rights of mine under a qualifying contract of insurance; or
- any benefits (in the form of pensions or otherwise) which are payable on the termination of my service or on my death or retirement and to which I am (or my dependants are), or may be, entitled; or any withdrawals from my pension savings (except where the withdrawals are used directly for income in retirement).
Self-certified sophisticated investors are investors are investors to whom at least one of the following applies:
- are a member of a network or syndicate of business angels and have been so for at least the last six months prior to the date of categorisation;
- have made more than one investment in an unlisted company in the two years prior to the date of categorisation;
- are working, or have worked in the two years prior to the date of categorisation, in a professional capacity in the private equity sector, or in the provision of finance for small and medium enterprises;
- are currently, or have been in the two years prior to the dater of categorisation, a director of a company with an annual turnover of at least £1 million.
Advised investors have taken advice from an FCA authorised adviser in respect of the intended investment with WiseAlpha.
Investment professionals are one of the following:
- an FCA authorised person
- any other person 1. whose ordinary activities involve them carrying on the controlled activity to which the communication relates for the purpose of a business carried on by them; or 2. who it is reasonable to expect will carry on such activity for the purposes of a business carried on by them
- a government, local authority (whether in the United Kingdom or elsewhere) or an international organisation
- a person (“A”) who is a director, officer or employee of a person (“B”) and the communication is made to A in that capacity and where A’s responsibilities when acting in that capacity involve them in the carrying on by B of controlled activities.
Institutional investors are set up as a legal entity and the person/s that will manage the investment on behalf of the legal entity can be categorised as another qualified investor.